PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 Emergency DXB
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2016, 12:40
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fatbus

Yes, to some extent I agree but I do think it's also very much dependent on the airline's culture. Is it a culture which encourages airmanship and has the confidence in management to overlook minor SOP deviation's if the outcome is good and the overall performance is credible, i.e., big picture stuff, or is it one where even minor errors are highlighted, de briefed and written up? If it is the latter, is it any wonder that a newer generation of pilots will place their faith and trust in a system (machine & SOPs) that's inherently reliable and thus follow rules almost blindly! 30-40 years ago, higher failure rates brought with it a commensurate dose of suspicion. Today's reliable technology replaces that suspicion with complacency!

To prove my point, come down a little earlier next time in the hotel and place a few suitcases in a line that will eventually block an exit or through fare. Would you be at all surprised if I told you the cabin crew will continue to place their cases, line abreast as per SOP, until no hotel guests or staff can get by?

Following rules blindly is an art form in some Companies!

Harry