PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2016, 10:52
Spiney Norman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LTNman
This has got the brain matter working overtime. You must mean this hangar that was for The London Aviation Centre but apart from the hangar and the offices eaither side nothing else got finished. Even this hangar is gone now.
from the David Gearing collection via Luton Anorak

I can't remember it being built but then I seem to remember it had to be made wider for the cargo apron that followed years later, so it must have already have been there.
That's the one! If my memory is correct it was originally constructed to be used for GA by a chap named Raisbeck? (Thus the nickname).The construction included a long, narrow taxiway from the hangar along the east side of 18/36 all the way to the run-up bay spur thus crossing 24/06 grass runway. I believe construction was completed but then some issue regarding it's approval for use came up meaning that it couldn't be used by aircraft and access to the hangars on the E side of the field had to be via the gates in front of the old tower or the entry-exit point, (which was constantly either damaged and too rough for aircraft use, or waterlogged).