PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt. Kenya Crash 19 July 2003
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2003, 20:09
Foxcotte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenyan crash

Quite a response!

Far less to do with my own personal conclusions than to do with what was actually seen & heard with regard to the Metro and its crew.

On initial arrival & departure from Wilson Airport, the Metro did not appear to be familiar with local arrival/departure procedures as seen/heard by other local traffic in the area at the time. The tour agent handling the Kenya section of the trip has written a letter to the US State Department about the incident and repercussions, in it mentioning his attempt to dissuade the pax from using the Metro for the Samburu leg of the flight. The ATC clearance was heard by several other aircraft also departing from Wilson the same day, and lastly the conversation with the local pilot attempting to warn of the dangers of the intended flight path was heard on the general chat frequency by at least 4 other aircraft in the area.

My personal opinion relates to the hypothetical result of the Metro attempting to land at Samburu, and comes from my personal knowledge that this airstrip is a STOL bush one. Light KingAirs and loaded C310s manage it with experienced pilots, and while I admit to not knowing that much about the Metro's performance and capabilities, I still stand by the opinion that it was not a suitable aircraft for this airstrip.

As for offering my services to the ongoing investigation - all the above is general knowledge in the small Kenya aviation community and I am sure they will be able to reach their own conclusions in due course.

Sadly as has been pointed out this accident is not the first such obliteration into a hillside in Kenya (viz a viz the Pilatus that piled into the Ngong Hills outside of Nairobi a few years ago) but with commonsense and proper planning, I sincerely hope it will be the last.