PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2016, 05:27
c.j.shrimpton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzzbox @ 1485

Thanks for posting this after all the discussion about rejected landing versus Go-around and at what point during go-around the thrust should be checked.

Quite simply, in a normal go around it is almost guaranteed that TOGA will give the required thrust and if it doesn't, there's time to sort it. Very near the ground or after a bounce this cannot be guaranteed so a check of the thrust is more urgent.

If the wheels are on the ground you can bet your pension that TOGA will NOT give the required thrust. This is how this aircraft is designed (and others like it - probably to satisfy certification requirements) and the crew must be aware of this if they attempt this manoeuvre. Therefore the first actions must be:-

1. MANUALLY advance the power levers.
2. Check SPEED
3. Stop frantically pressing TOGA until you are away from the ground.

An earlier post stated that the pilot "stuffed up" and PM failed to notice. (Judging by some of the posts in this thread, others might have made the same mistake for the same reason.) They might not have been fully aware of this Gotcha and may not been trained to do what is in effect a "touch and go" resorting instead to their more familiar go-around SOP.

As to the question that arose earlier in this thread as to whether this was an unnecessary rejected landing because of a spurious warning that the runway was too short, I would suggest caution until the full analysis of the performance is determined by the investigation. I've found that computers, much like women, have an annoying habit of sometimes being right. Earlier in this thread I saw that the density altitude was around 4000ft due to the extreme temperature and the low pressure. Landing groundspeeds are significantly higher in these conditions and a trawl through the performance graphs can sometimes throw up surprises. Depending on the weight, groundspeed and actual touchdown point, the warning may have been correct.