PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "turbulence is on the rise" Is it?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2016, 05:18
FlightlessParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly, people do put in references to the flavour-of-the-month to increase funding opportunities: as for example, all those studies of every type of illness which included, at the end, a positive correlation with tobacco use. But this does not invalidate the fact that tobacco smoking is a deadly habit, and that the tobacco companies deliberately lied for many years to protect their profits.

The claim that AGW is just a ploy by scientists to get grants is a good example of the big lie. A million bucks is a major grant, even in science; I would assume it's pretty much the year's lunch budget for the PR department of a big coal company. Big coal, especially, is denigrating careful science to protect its profits, and for some strange reason a lot of people accept their obvious lies as though they were the truth. I do not understand why; you would not expect magical thinking and hostility to science in an aviation community, so it must be some kind of personal anxiety.

This is of critical importance to the aviation business, since there is no visible alternative to fossil fuels for aviation; it is therefore necessary that the aviation community should support the reduction of carbon emissions in all areas where there are alternatives.

Genghis produces a careful account of the research, clearly in the initial, exploratory stages; Genghis is well known for knowledge of aviation matters, but because he accepts the overwhelming science on AGW, some people think they have the right to impune not only his knowledge, but his motives. I very much fear that Trump will win the election, as wilfull ignorance seems to be the way of the future.