PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 Emergency DXB
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2016, 05:03
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAY IT; DO IT; SEE IT

Fwiw, I've flown in airlines that announce FMA changes, and also other airlines where FMA changes are not announced (that is unless a FMA mode change is not going as expected).

My personal preference is for a silent flightdeck, i.e. with callouts only being made when the FMA mode change is not as expected, though that of course assumes that you know what the FMA should be annunciating, as & when modes are changing?!

Wrt go-arounds I have always instructed the following 'technique' :

SAY IT = Call "Go Around; Flap <your aircraft's go-around flap setting>" (that is unless you're in Windshear, in which case leave the flaps where they are)
DO IT = Click the TOGA button / paddle-switch and advance the thrust levers with your hand (do NOT rely on the autothrottle, even if it's engaged)
SEE IT = Check that the FMA says 'TOGA' and that the engine thrust is set to 'GA' power (or something appropriate)

If you do nothing more than those 3 basic items above then you stand a very strong chance of climbing safely away back into the sky. The rest (gear retraction, roll mode, acceleration) all following as a matter of course.

It's not difficult, but some people really like to make it so.