PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does the PFD show (calculate) wind velocity during the takeoff roll ?
Old 13th Sep 2016, 02:01
underfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An aircraft can never measure vertical windspeed. The systems rely on the component of the wind in the direction of flight. Winds are not a static flow, but turbulent and gusting, especially though the column near the ground.

However the displayed nose / tail wind components will be accurate and could be used to confirm suspected wind shear during take off.
Component is the operative word, for both horizontal and vertical winds.

it is also possible to calculate the vertical wind from TAS, flight path angle (Pitch angle - average(AOA)), Vertical speed. But i'm pretty sure this is not displayed.
Which is unfortunate in my opinion.
I would have to disagree here, just as the ac cannot provide reliable wind information while crabbing, or in a turn while descending. There is not enough data from the flap settings, latency, and associated lift components to provide vertical winds. (especially when the sensors can be shielded by the manoeuvre such as rotation.)

I believe you will find that AB has some issues with this system, especially on final in winds while it is a start, I would call it far from accurate or reliable.

Last edited by underfire; 13th Sep 2016 at 02:24.