PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2016, 22:16
Lonewolf_50

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by alf5071h
This accident, even without a final report, is an opportunity to consider contributions and conjunctions, and thence what everyone might be review and as necessary change.
Alternately, it is an opportunity for management, and for that matter a portion of the industry, to ignore the layers of causation based on your well reasoned post about habit patterns and behavior, and find a scapegoat.

About 6 years ago I got involved in the discussions on the AF 447 crash here on PPRuNe. With that came growing sense of incredulity.

The pitch and power chorus, a faction of posters who kept on reminding the discussers of the basics, was well represented. With this incident, and a few others, the question that crops up in my mind is:
is one of the fundamentals most pilots are taught way in the beginning, that pitch+power=performance, and that pitch/power/configuration are of key influence on desired/expected performance, being (perhaps unintentionally) trained out of some pilots by the nature of day to day flying? If feel strange asking that question, but I ask it because of what in your post got my brain to grind its gears.