PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2016, 19:25
hangten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saying we should revert is like asking all the ships using the oceans to determine speed by trailing a knotted rope and counting the knots that run through, or to determine depth under keel by dropping a weighted line.
Bloody right too. I also think that we should ban all cars and use donkey power to get to work. Air quality would be improved (except for the small vicinity around where they do their business) and I wouldn't have to cry every time one of those awful adverts is on Sky News about them being neglected. Just think about how many you could fit side by side on the M40.

Sarcasm aside (just in case you hadn't noticed), the crux of this issue as Gonzo says is concentration versus dispersion. The people cannot democratically decide this issue themselves as everyone will vote for concentration, but not over them. This is why we have an elected, representative Government to make decisions in the national interest that sometimes, just sometimes, we have to accept to our, or someone else's (hopefully, eh?) detriment.

Our economy needs aviation capacity and somebody will have to hear some more aeroplanes as there's no wilderness left within 40 minutes of London. Good luck everyone (me and my family included).

BTW we need more railways, roads, hospitals and schools too, and, shock, horror, they have to go near somebody's house.