PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast jets flown by non-military pilots. Is it safe?
Old 4th Aug 2003, 18:53
MaximumPete

Uncle Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There must be an adequate level of experience, a proper structured training course and continuation training to keep any pilot safe when progressing to a new more advanced type, however slow or fast it goes.

Why the big deal about jets? There are single-engine piston aircraft around that are faster than some of the jets already mentioned and also quite a handful to operate. Pilots come out of the training schools having flown twin pistons with low hours and fly the A320/321/330 etc without any problem.

The "only military pilots" view has been around ever since I've been flying and will no doubt continue to flourish. I've known some very able single-seat ex-military pilots who have been nigh on impossible to train in a multi-crew environment, whilst others have taken to it like ducks to water.

I am not expressing an opinion about the merits of different training backgrounds but do think we should be careful not to generalise but treat each individual on his/her merits.

MP