PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "turbulence is on the rise" Is it?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2016, 14:16
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I would say it's reduced. Years ago strong turbulence over the Pyrenees and Alps used to be standard in summer.
I concur. It seemed standard ops to wear shoulder harness a couple of times a week when near the Alps.

One night we moved over because the core of a CB could be seen on the radar, and visually under layered cloud some 5k' below. We were 10 miles east in clear air when we dropped the first thousand feet, not once, but three times. It was like dropping down concrete steps. One of them, my jacket lifted up on its hangar indicating a tad of negative g.

I'm living on memories now but one vivid one was of the training staff of Eagle's 1-11 fleet suddenly encountering CAT in an airway over France. They looked at each other, shut the taps and fell out of the sky with the airbrakes out. All four of us had simply never experienced CAT before, and it was moderate at the most, though that little aircraft was particularly twangy.

One last thing. The Ozone layer is bewilderingly thin - the most whispy membrane protecting our planet.