PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practising Instrument Approaches
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2016, 10:34
Midland Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another option to practise ILS approaches in VFR is to use one of the apps that is available for mobile phones. There's this one for Android which is free, and for Apple devices I use this one which costs a fiver. There are several apps available, so do a bit of research.

Some of the apps allow you to create your own approach somewhere quiet where you won't annoy the neighbours, and you can also make the touchdown point at a reasonable height for safety and to avoid problems with low fly rules.

The phone's internal GPS works OK on most devices, but can be a little slow updating. For added accuracy, use an external GPS receiver. I use a Garmin GLO, which I think has WAAS and has an update rate of several times a second. It work very well with Apple devices, but I think is a little fiddly to set up with Android devices. It's also black and can get a little warm if left on the glareshield in the unlikely event of warm, sunny weather.

NOTE: You need to have a safety pilot with you and none of these apps are designed for anything other than VFR flying at your own risk.