PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does the PFD show (calculate) wind velocity during the takeoff roll ?
Old 12th Sep 2016, 03:20
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks All
Wanted a technical explanation of How Its Done.
Someday when I get it, I will put it here.
Once again appreciate those who got my query.
As I hinted earlier, you got your answer in post 2 of this thread. You just didn't like it.

----

A_pilot:
I don't think anyone can dispute this Airbus information
I certainly can dispute your interpretation of it.

Perhaps if you continued reading your document you would have discovered that your page 7 refers to windshear detection in general, not specifically during the take-off roll. For specific take-off phase windshear detection, refer to page 9, which makes no mention of the wind vector:

"Closely monitor the airspeed and speed trend during the takeoff roll to detect any evidence of windshear. "

From your earlier post:
Aren't pilots trained to gather and crosscheck information using all available resources ?
Not during the take-off roll they aren't.

Any decision to reject a takeoff above 80/100 knots (Boeing/Airbus) due windshear is going to be based on the aircraft considered unable to fly (due insufficient IAS). There is only one instrument that can tell you this - your IAS indicator. Your wind vector is irrelevant to that decision. If you continue, stagnating IAS or speed trend is sufficient to carry out the windshear recovery. Again, your wind vector is irrelevant. Page 9 is quite clear. I seriously urge you to reconsider.

Last edited by Derfred; 12th Sep 2016 at 03:56.