PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checking on a potential 'Mitty'
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2016, 19:48
Tinribs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
service numbers

I may be able to shed some light on the final letter quoted by some.

There were many errors in transcribing service numbers with accompanying turmoil in the paperwork. At some time in the sixties a letter was added after the row of numbers. This letter was the result of a check sum of the preceding numbers. I cannot remember the exact process at this distance but it went something like; add all the preceding numbers together and count through the alphabet using the sum as a stopping point. If the final letter did not agree with the location of the checksum then the service number was corrupt and should be checked again.

Further to the discussion about walts, I too have some concerns about a resident near me who claims an army rank of Warrant Officer. His behaviour does not fit the rank he claims and nor does his writing style which is basically v ignorant of punctuation spelling and logic

Without a service number how does one discretely check? I would hate to wrongly accuse him of spurious claims, after all he may be right but there are many brave men who should not be sullied by imposters. Is it a criminal offence to impersonate a warrant officer?