PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA FTLs after a short time in. Do you feel worse, better or no change?
Old 11th Sep 2016, 13:58
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTL's are so theoretical, based on many diverse opinions. When a new product is brought to the market there is much market research, much customer surveys, much testing in situ.
In previous flying lives, when in discussion/disagreement about rostering practices and FTL's with the DFO or usually financial director, and being fed up of the headache caused by banging my head against the wall, I challenged any manager to work my short-haul roster for 2 weeks. This was allowing for the case that they had a comfy air-conditioned office, a telephone, radio, TV, internet, lunch break, space to walk about, different people to converse with, various challenges to keep them alert, and a coffee lounge to relax as required. After they had worked 5 earlies & 5 lates, including weekends, then I would consider their opinion about my working life-style. All refused.
What was also never taken into account was the balance in work & social life. The time spent away from home had no compensation in time allowed at home. Work was to FTL's and days away had no 'balance factor' allowed for in days off at home.
So, I wonder, if these new improved (for whom) EASA FTL's were flight tested by anyone who devised them? I doubt it. When you consider the testing program necessary to certify an a/c, and when you consider that the greatest cause of incidents/accidents is human error, sometime the crew, how on earth can the weakest link be subjected to untested uncertified opinionated (by ignorant financially driven muppets) working conditions? ABSURD!