PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of control recovery
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2016, 10:24
overstress

PPRuNe Person

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While going through these steps it is common sense to close the throttle if the nose is low and add power if the nose is high.
Not in a 747-400. Boeing says: (nose high, low speed)

Further complicating this situation, as the airspeed decreases, the pilot could intuitively make a large thrust increase. This causes an additional pitch up.
There is no single drill for the 747 upset recovery, I would also take issue with
the drill is not type dependant no matter how any aircraft or simulator behaves when control is lost.
I used to teach "Height - Speed - 'g' - Roll - Pitch - Trim" in a Jet Provost, but this doesn't work for (e.g.) a 747 with a huge thrust couple...

Boeing again:

Though flight crews in line operation rarely, if ever, encounter an upset situation, understanding how to apply aerodynamic fundamentals in such a situation helps them control the airplane. Several techniques are available for recovering from an upset. In most situations, if a technique is effective, it is not recommended that pilots use additional techniques.
and

Finally, if normal pitch control then roll control is ineffective, careful rudder input in the direction of the desired roll may be required to induce a rolling maneuver for recovery. Only a small amount of rudder is needed. Too much rudder applied too quickly or held too long may result in loss of lateral and directional control. Because of the low energy condition, pilots should exercise caution when applying rudder.
JF, if you wish, I will email you the text of the 747-400 upset recovery chapter from the Flight Crew Training Manual...