PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2016, 07:30
ATNotts

Received 305 Likes on 174 Posts
That said, agree that the check-in area at BHX is cramped at peak times whilst the size of the immigration hall / baggage delivery could be improved. The E gate system never works for me in arrivals first time - but that could be me. Personally I don't like having to walking through duty free but this seems to be the trend now and I suppose it make sense in terms of revenue generation.
On the question of space within the check-in area, what percentage of passengers actually check-in at the airport - I would have thought that business passengers, certainly on short haul routes will for the most part check-in on line, and even long haul passengers on short trips will do the same.

Is the check-in system these days largely patronised by the bucket-and-spade brigade, and long haul passengers?

If the trend towards on line check-in continues, is it really worth airports investing more money in the check-in areas for the medium / long term?

If investment in space is required, surely the main areas to address are immigration and baggage reclaim, since passengers are at their most grumpy and irritated on arrival, and will most likely rate their experience on this segment of the journey rather than pre-flight.

As for the Duty Free maze - if I were BHX I'd generate revenue by allowing passengers to pay a £5 fee to bypass the shopping area - leaving the DF area to shopaholics who can't tell a ripoff when they see one!