PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inspirational jaguar pilot story
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2003, 16:24
WorkingHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CANP

16 - Yes of course it was stupid of the Cessna pilot to do what he was doing and as others have said very poor airmanship indeed. I do not think the conclusions by the AAIB and the RAF Board of Enquiry portrays the correct "picture". Indeed it is a fact that the accident was the failure of the two pilots to see each other just as it is a fact that the Cessna had no chance of seeing the Jaguar approaching at that speed and from that angle. The Mil LFA covers the whole of the UK so it is rather difficult to avoid such areas.
Earlier in this thread a FJ pilot stated that we needed permission (presumably from CANP) to fly (where and when was not stated) so if no "permission" was sought do the FJ pilots think it is all clear? It was a sad and terrible accident in which 2 people were killed and that is what we must keep in mind. I would not be so presumptious as to apportion "blame" and I believe others should do the same where loss of life or serious injury is concerned. We need to dispel some obvious incorrect beliefs though.
A last question please - how was it established that the Jaguar was at 350 -400 feet at the time of the collision?