PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 crash in Kenya
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2016, 05:37
hueyracer

Wageslave, sub 1000 hours pilots like those fly all kinds of advanced jets and helicopters all the time.
It's called the military, and most of the audience (me included) was at one point one of those and perhaps you.
And in the military, pilots undergo proper training...and are qualified to fly.

I spent the past 7 years in that region, and i can tell you that i have only met ONE (!) pilot from here who i considered a professional pilot...

All other helicopter pilot "somehow" got their license...were put into a cockpit....cockiedīaround that they can do it themselves after a few minutes....and the "mzungus"were sent home, as the local pilots can do it better anyway....

This is their attitude, this is their culture.....

Let me give you another example:

A foreign pilot from Europe-4000 hours, 3000 hours on type, 2500 hours PIC, VFR, IFR, ATPL(H) from a proper EASA country comes down here...
The local CAA asks for dozens of pages of paperwork, including factory type training (he received type rating training on a proper ATO, not the factory), and refuses to give him a validation....
8 months later this pilot is still trying to pass their silly exams.......and maybe after 12 months, he will get a local license conversion.

A local pilot, aged in the early 70īs, had a "license" back in the 1970....where it also expired....hasnīt flown since then.....asked for a job.....nope, no job, mate.....you need a license, a type rating and an ifr rating..
Man walks into the CAA, walks out with an ATPL and a type rating on it not even 4 hours later....

This is the way it works down here....