PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Science Museum, Wroughton - Events
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2003, 16:14
Windy Militant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atb1943,
The reason that the PFA got the rally in there was that the outstation manger at the time was a fellow aviator. I think he owned or had a share in an Auster at the time. At that time Wroughton was not high on the priorities of head office so this guy slid it under the wire whilst they were looking the other way.

The staff on site are really keen on opening up the collection but sadly Kensington seem to have a different agenda.

An acquaintance of mine is a member of the Swindon Lions a charity group, they used to help out with marshaling and other stuff at open days there.
He told me that one of the reasons that they have so few open days is that they have to have a certain number of Museum staff on duty. However despite being offered double time from 17:00 Friday to 08:00 Monday and being allocated accomadation they couldn't get enough staff from Kensington to attend. This wasn't helped by the fact that unless the staff were of a certain grade they weren't allowed to handle money or deal with the public so the Lion's had to do that whilst the staff just hung around and watched. So usually what happened is that said staff would get bored to the eye teeth and not go back.