PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrian vs Eurowings
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2016, 19:13
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for Airbus.

As I have spent 5000ish hrs in condition levers equipped aeroplanes and escaped turboprop trap merely on insane amount of good luck... twice, I don't deny I'm severely biased.

It's not just Dash8, any turboprop time is worth very little when one needs to change company while the times are good. When the times are average and below, it is worthless. Oh, sure, it was great fun flying ATR down 10deg descent path or making greasers in Q400 (ok, ok, 1 in 50) but checking for entry requirements everywhere and finding them all just asking for jet time while my company was culling its pilots herd made nasty offset for the fun I had. Overall, I found turboprops more difficult to fly and operate than jets but not many companies or jet jockeys would admit that.

Regarding the FBW and automatics on 320, I had heard a lot of stories and expected it to be some kind of hard-to-tame technical monstrosity so I was quite disappointed to find it quite simple, intuitive, well thought out and flying nicely even with FBW shot up. Heck, except for being noisier, with cramped cockpit (bigger than DHC-8's though), rudimentary ergonomic and a bit more difficult to slow down, 738 is IMHO not much different from A320. Sidestick? Two minutes to learn, two to unlearn. Never met anyone who had problems converting to Airbus controls or going back to classic, even my classmate who started flying 320 at 200TT, flew nothing else and then at 6K went to Q400 LHS had no problems at all although he was not very enthusiastic about exchanging ECAM for Caution and warning panel.

Basically I'm saying times are wobbly and suggesting to go for the more valuable type rather than a promise of career which may materialize or not.