PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA may reduce required flight time for commercial co-pilots.
Old 10th Sep 2016, 16:45
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Sailvi767,

My AFRES contact said this re their affinity for prior flying experience:

"…AFRES uses a complicated formula to pick pilot training applicants. You get the most points from your AFOQT scores and your BATS (computer based aptitude testing where you react to stimuli). He said having pilot certificates and flying time does factor in for points."

And another source said that they credit up to 200 hours prior time in their scoring to hire/not hire a candidate, IIUC.

What I didn't get was what percentage of applicants taken by the reserves/guard actually HAVE any prior time...200 or otherwise.

There are mixed opinions on whether all the 750 hours must be mil time to satisfy § 61.160 Aeronautical experience (and I don't know enough to have a valid opinion about it but "all" civ time counting toward 750 would be logical).

So, if the r-ATP for mil folks is actually lowered to 500 hours (a BIG "if" at this point), an unknown number of people will be helped into the 121 world but I'd guess the number won't turn any tides.