PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2016, 09:52
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My airline doesn't train for GA from on the runway after touchdown

My point, a few posts earlier, precisely; was this manoeuvre really a GA? It has been stated that EK's SOP calls for a GA if landing beyond the TDZ zone. I can understand the thinking behind that SOP, and it makes good sense on limiting runways; but is it s one size fits all edict? It might be true for a 2500m runway if you are 500m too long. Is it still necessary if 600m too long on a 3300m runway?
However, the SOP demands the crew executes a GA. The decision to GA would be made hopefully above the runway as you realised you were landing long. The engines might be at idle or not, depending on the circumstances. There is one procedure for an all engine GA. It has always been practiced in the sim, or for real, with the engines above idle and the a/c above the ground. This was a new area and the standard GA procedure is not appropriate. IMHO this was a touch & go, untrained and a modification of a GA.
If EK have their SOP, and therefore it is highly likely that a floating aeroplane making a long landing will have the engines at idle, then this should have been a trained manoeuvre. Local crews can tell us if it is.