PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2016, 08:22
604driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PukinDog

Verifying G/A thrust setting is a cognitive act to be performed as one of the first steps in the procedure whether it be using the automatics, manually flown, has touched down, or not.
Great post. I'd like to add,

A cognitive act followed by positive reinforcement would be better still.... Which is why I think any G/A Baulked landing should be announced and commanded by "G/A check thrust"!

The problem with "G/A Flap xxx" is that the PM's attention could be directed away from the position of the T/L's and the EPR's / N1's because he has heard a Flap xxx command.

It's also for this reason that I would say it's quite reasonable for the PF to remove his hand from the T/L's after he has commanded Check Thrust as it allows a positive reinforcement to be followed by a confirming action, the PM can adjust/check/verify thrust.

Not all aircraft are FBW so the aircraft will be out of trim for the G/A and that may just require 2 hands to control the aircraft's out of trim state for a short period of time...

Which would also allow the PM to verify and then state "Thrust Set"

You now have everyone on the same page and bernoulis being generated so can call for the required config changes and continue the procedure.

Anyway. I just think that putting in the notes at the bottom of a page, something like... "The PM will very thrust increase" is just plain ridiculous. It should be part of the procedure, not a footnote!