PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta-3 & Phase Lag
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2003, 11:35
Dave_Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heedm, Lu; and Nick, if we are still talking.

The following is a plot of a basic teetering rotor and one with a delta3 of 18º. The 18º was selected because it is the Robinson's angle. Please note that phase-lag is not considered until the end.

If necessary, here is a clarification of the various planes.

Some considerations re this graph;

The [control plane] and the [tip path plane w/o delta3] are representative of a basic teetering rotor. I.e. a 1 to 1 ration between pitch and flap.
The [control plane] plus the remaining three lines are representative of a delta3 rotor.

The [delta3 pitch change] is derived from [tip path plane w/o delta3] times an 18º delta3.
The [no-feathering plane] is the sum of the [control plane] and the [delta3 pitch change].
The [tip path plane w/ delta3] is based on this line reaching 90º azimuth at the flap angle where the [no-feathering plane] pitch changes from positive to negative.

There is an interdependency between the last three lines, and this will change their true location from that which is depicted in the graph. However, I believe that the [no-feathering plane] will remain on the same side of the [control plane], and that the [tip path plane w/ delta3] will remain on the same side of the [tip path plane w/o delta3].

Should this be correct, then two conclusions can be drawn from the graph.
1/ The blade pitch will reach 0º before the blade reaches 90º azimuth. I.e. a phase angle of less than 90º is required.
2/ The blade pitch will reach 90º azimuth before all the flap has been pulled out of it. I.e. additional rotations will be required before the [control plane] and the [tip path plane w/ delta3] are coplanar.