PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does ALPA oppose upset recovery training
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2016, 14:22
greeners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
markkal - there is a marked difference between what the EASA UPRT regulations mandate and what I personally would view as being the best possible training! At Ultimate High we give UPRT students the option to experience fully developed spins for exactly the reasons you give in your note. IMO it could *never* be made mandatory as a significant proportion of our delegates are uncomfortable with more extreme Unusual Positions and would probably refuse to experience a full spin. And yes, I am including experienced commercial pilots here...

Sunjoo did a great job of steering ICAATEE (which was set up by the RAeS on the same day that AF447 flew into the South Atlantic) and the work of that body to influence regulators is now largely done and complete. I'm part of the EASA Rule making group that you refer to (officially RMT .0581) along with representatives from the other main UPRT schools, APS and ECAIR Aviation, and we're hoping to get the details and guidance published as soon as possible.

On the slow flight point, it's worth highlighting that a LOT of time is spent specifically focussing on the challenges associated with this phase of flight.

OK465 - you ask a good question. Because the teaching is about recognising the situation and applying the correct recovery technique, it should not make any difference on which platform this is demonstrated. If the delegate can do it on a T67, they should be able to do it on an A320 or B737.