PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2016, 10:51
Danny42C

Dastardly Tricks.

MPN11,

A pity. Never mind. And I would surmise that the Missing Scrolls covered the early years with the old "Bendix" (MPN-1), and when that was replaced at Sleap by the far superior CPN-4, the records of the Bendix Courses followed the old thing into the bin.

On second thoughts, not quite ! There was a Bendix kept in mothballs at Gatow as late as 1961 (and hurriedly put back into service when the Wall went up and a second Airlift was on the cards). A hue and cry went round RAF(G) to find old hairies who could still work the thing.

Many were the tales told of the early days at Sleap, where the dastardly Marshalls pilots (mostly ex-FAA, I hasten to add) would take their Chipmunks and hide behind the Wrekin, refuse to answer the R/T, and reduce some (usually) girl student to floods of hysterical tears, believing she'd killed her man.

Another ploy was when two Chipmunks were under control of one student. 'A' would enter the 'dark area' in the radar shadow of the Wrekin from one direction, 'B' from another. Once out of radar sight, each would do a smart 180, and 'A' would emege on the same heading as 'B'had gone in, and vice versa, and the stude would have two misidents on his/her hands.... How we laughed !

The girls quickly learned never to say "you're in my dark area" - for that provoked unseemly rejoinders.

But they were good days.....................Danny.