PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrian vs Eurowings
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2016, 09:40
herrmxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austrian vs Eurowings

Hi all,

I have a tough decision to take:
I am a greenhorn coming from Lufthansa integrated MPL Training fighting to get my first Job in a Cockpit. Since there are no Jobs to be expected at LH in the next 1-2 years we are currently being offered FO seats at Austrian Airlines' Dash 8 as well as Eurowings Europe A320. Both Jobs are limited to 2 years (with option to extend) and will include a respective Type Rating and Line Training in beforehand . Both will be based in Vienna.
What you need to know about me is that I will need to shuttle to Hamburg, Germany due to personal reasons, which would not change too quickly.

Ive identified the following +0- for the two Options:

AUA
+ Decent respectable and stable Airline
+ Dash 8 appears to me as an interesting A/C (system wise)
+ nice short legs and interessting destinations
+ better pay than EW but still mediocre in the long run

0 mostly chains with layovers

- Dash 8 might be a deadend in regard to further career, no upgrades within the first 5 years to be expected
- no possibility to change to an airline based in HAm with DAsHs
- Tough Dutyplans, minimum off-days, high dutytime, low flighthours
- Only Turbine Time, no Jet Time

EW Europe (not Eurowings Germany)
+ Fast Track to A320 Type Rating
+ New company, possible further career opportunities,
+ would be one of the very first pilots starting - maybe fast track to CPT in terms of seniority (however there is no official seniority system)
+ very low chance for opportunity to be based in HAM in the next years

0 no layovers

- very, very bad pay for an A320 FO (about 2000€ net + 50€ per extra sectors, however only after 280 sectors being flown in one year)
- 280 sectors per year as up to now will not be reached.
- new AOC, unstable Ops
- support of pilot-outsourcing from expensive german contracts (Lufthansa strategy)
- undermining of our german union
- Very, very bad pay!
- up to now very low flight time per month (~30h) due to run up of operations, expected to normalize in the next months - many stby days
- minimum off days to be expected
- would prefer a Turboprop as a 1st type

Main question is: Does the A320 TR overweigh the negative points enough, or is it better to aim for the Dash and risk being stuck there.
Appreciate your bias.

herrmx

Last edited by herrmxx; 23rd Sep 2016 at 09:17.