PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SkyDemon
Thread: SkyDemon
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2016, 09:00
engineno9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to remember passing my driving test at 17 without having done any motorway driving (not in the syllabus), and the instructor recommended a 'pass plus' course which was basically an optional hour spent focused on motorway driving. It was certainly a good idea and served me well at the time.

I wonder if a similar thing could be set up for this kind of scenario; not a rating or qualification as such but a CAA-backed optional extra syllabus that schools could offer to newly qualified pilots? I'm sure there are plenty of other things that could be covered at the same time?

Pilots gain additional experience on new systems and schools get more revenue. There would also be a smoother transition between student and PPL holder, as lets face it we're not done learning at any stage are we.

Of course, nothing to stop schools offering this themselves I don't suppose, doesn't need to be officially backed.

Makes more sense to me than trying to shoehorn GPS training into the PPL course and undermining the importance of traditional navigation methods.