PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheel fairing conversion for a Piper Archer
Old 9th Sep 2016, 08:00
BoeingBoy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel fairing conversion for a Piper Archer

Hi All. (I know, it's that bloke with his Archer again!)

Can I ask if anyone has knowledge of what is required to upgrade my P28A Serial 28-7790402 from one that cruises at 107kts to the later model spec that cruises at 120kts? The only difference seems to be that mine has simple spats and the later models have full leg fairings. Is it as simple as changing to fairings or is there a difference in airframe and/or prop as well?

If only the former can the conversion be made without a design change and STC? Looking at the EASA web site I can find no previously known STC that covers this subject so I presume it will be expensive to convince the CAA that it's safe to change. On the other hand since the type is already certified for fairings one hopes a simple conversion can be applied.

Also, I note there are several products available in the States that will seal the aileron and flap gaps, streamline the flap hinges and also there is a non standard shroud that goes between the leg fairing and simple spat to offer higher speed. All of these have FAA STC's but how easy is it to apply them here.

I have spoken to my maintenance company but they are not sure of the answer.

As always any help appreciated.