PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on small cargo plane
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2016, 07:24
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmm... Geosync: the GA8 would come about as close to lifting a 1000Kg payload as a clapped-out 206 would -not even close.

For that sort of load, A C208 Caravan or BN-2 Islander are pretty well suited. We lift 1300Kg in the Vans here, single pilot on 30-45min legs. 400lb reserve fuel. The Islander will lift a tonne too. As others have suggested though, fuel (avgas) price and availability will be the issue, especially in remote places.

27/09 you damn near owe me a new keyboard! I spluttered by coffee when I saw that ;-) Yup, the P750 will carry 5hrs fuel. And yup, it'll carry 1300Kg. BUT I flat-out guarantee you it will NOT do both at the same time!!! With 1.3 tonnes on board, you might have the ability to carry a return 30min leg fuel, plus minimal reserve (200 litres or 1hr on the -34's That'll have you at MCTOW and Very close to MLW.) PAC are renowned for their fairytale marketing and sales pitches. There is not a single important parameter that they have not grossly inflated in their enthusiasm. If you want to carry 800Kg on a 45min leg, best not be going high. It'll run out of ITT before it runs out of TRQ, then the climb flattens off to curvature-of-the-earth above A070.

Stick with a Van or an Islander. They'll do the job expected. Or reduce your payload expectations to 450-500Kg and an old 206 will meet the bill nicely.

Last edited by RadioSaigon; 9th Sep 2016 at 07:36.