PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checking on a potential 'Mitty'
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2016, 21:57
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember sometime in the 70s when young lads seeking to ward off the icy winds that blow across Norfolk from the North Sea took the sensible precaution of equipping themselves with ex RAF greatcoats which they bought from MOD surplus stores for very little - certainly under a tenner.

An officers' confidential order came out to the effect that officers were to desist from the practice of buttonholing these long-haired Herberts and demanding to know why they were masquerading as airmen. As the coats had been bought legitimately from surplus stores, and there was obviously no intention to deceive, then the wearers were to be left alone.

TTH - I agree about the "other bits" in the RAF list being more interesting. Also the Army List made good reading, if only for title spotting, particularly amongst the guards and the cavalry regiments. My favourite was one chap I met on a course when I was a Rockape, who rejoiced under the title of Second Lieutenant The Master of Rollo. "Call me Rollo, old chap" was how he introduced himself. These guys, who were nearly always on a short service commission before running the estate or going into the family merchant bank were usually great value, as they certainly didnt take the army too seriously.