PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alternate airports named on Flt plan - responsibilities
Old 8th Sep 2016, 20:33
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my days the IFR flight plans were NOT sent to the Alternates destinations. Doubt this has changed but I stand to be corrected.

Interesting enough I landed quite a few times in Nassasuaq (Greenland) and know the place a bit . At beginning of ETOPs it was used extensively to meet ETOPS criteria, but the AFIS agent there was not aware of the types and numbers of a/c actually doing this, as he got no copies of Flight plans.
The runway length and strength was indeed able to receive the A300/310 and B757/767 twins of those days , but that was about all, no hangars , no stairs , no fuel in sufficient quantity , a small hotel able for max 100 people if rooms were shared. The next ( small) town is 1/2 h per helicopter. Runway usable in one direction only, and often ****ty weather, etc..etc..

I always wondered if anybody of OPS of those airlines had actually talked to someone that visited the place, or they just selected this alternate looking at a map..