PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checking on a potential 'Mitty'
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2016, 12:43
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
I come late to this thread, having just returned from some time with a chum who retired to Chiantishire (rather than Teeteringshire). Life halfway up a Tuscan big hill (small mountain?) has many advantages, but Internet connectivity ain't one of them.

I've got few inputs, mostly on thread drifts........

RO/MSF Posts Some of these posts required uniform, for example those full time posts supporting Air Cadets (now mostly FTRS I think). Those guys held commissions in the RAFR, either J Class (same I think as Met Men like Langleyb) or subsequently "CC" (civilian component). They held commissions in the reserve, and had 1250s etc.

Service Numbers and Prefix/Suffix Letters The letters are always there if not used, as they were indeed "checksums". Those of us who joined as "gutter entry" (sorry - Direct Entry) were enlisted as airmen for administrative convenience, and had - in my time - 7 digit numbers, preceded by a letter until commissioned - cos that was the blighters' way. So Q4232123 as an "airman"/officer cadet became 4232123Q on commissioning. The "first 4" betrayed the origin, For DE aircrew, South Cerney had 4231/2xxx, which became 8024xxx when ITS became AOTS at Fenton. Other oddities - sorry ladies - was that WRAF officers had 4 figure numbers; those of my vintage began with 4.

Group Captain (and above) Numbers Always there in there background I suppose, but not used until the advent of computers and numbers on 1250s/MoD 90s. All now have and use numbers.

Air Force Lists Sadly the so-called online version was nothing of the sort; it seemed to be just a list of who was in which post. It was always the "other stuff" in the List that one found most interesting (and often useful). HQ Staff Lists, ADCs (and similar) to HM, names and locations of Attaches, Squadron Battle Honours and prize-winners at Cranditz and Staff College. Plus all the WOs and MACRs. And of course ALL commissions, including VR(T), RAuxAF and the oddities of J Class and CC which I mention above. Also obituaries and the Retired List which has also gone. Last published IIRC in 2007..... it seems it would have answered the OPs question easily too....

Walting I think it does need some legislation, but common sense or de minimis defence should separate re-enactors (or actors - Section Officer Harvey anyone ) from sad gits or real Walts. There is Victorian legislation about wearing uniforms - the Uniform Act of 1894 - but mostly (at present) it requires "intent to deceive" to be illegal.

Notable British "Walts" include Alan Mcilwraith and Roger Day.

The ANZACs are particularly keen "Walt Hunters" too as the ANZMI Website clearly shows....

Sorry to go on so long, but I missed a week!!