PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2016, 11:47
STN Ramp Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pamann

Iam not sure why you should be so keen to stick two fingers up at Ryanair, theyprovide a lot of Jobs in the area and have shown more commitment to STNthan any other airline.

I agree that their dominance is not healthy and the news of a Jet 2 base is most welcome but remember this is the first foray into the South for Jet2 and the yields are much lower and the competition much tougher than the North. This is compensated by the size of the market which is much larger than the North.

Aircraft are mobile assets and both Easy and Jet2 are stock market listed companies they have to make their assets work hard for the shareholders and neither will have a second thought about moving these assets to another location if they can make more money at the other location.

Personally I wonder if this might end up being the final nail in the coffin for EZY at STN. If the leisure routes become unprofitable due to the competition then, with the increased competition from Ryanair on the business routes, they may just throw the towel in and close the base. In that case it’s a zero sum game and Stansted will not have benefited from the change.

On a final note I wonder where the Slots have come from, it’s fairly crowded in the morning in the terminal and also airside.