PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checking on a potential 'Mitty'
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2016, 21:54
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking about appearing on lists, I only learned a year or two back (on here) that the RAF list no longer appears in book form but continues to be published online.

Just today I caught the tail end of a news item which seemed to be saying that as publishing officers' details online is now seen as a security risk, they would now be removed. If this is the case (and I may have misunderstood) that means that the RAF (and Navy and Army) Lists will no longer exist, or if they do they will be classified documents. Is this right?

Personally I can't see that simply publishing the name 1234567 Flt Lt T. Tankertrash, Gd (N) in a list of thousands of other names either in print or online assists a potential terrorist, but again, perhaps I'm wrong?

it was easy to out a Walt simply by asking for his service number ... it's probably the one thing you will never forget in a hurry,
I once bought a very nice group of medals to a retired Grenadier Guards officer, with a lot of associated paperwork. Among this was a copy of a letter he had written to the War Office (as it then was) asking them to remind him of his service number, as he had forgotten it. I guess guards officers didn't use their numbers very often!