PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian prospects at 40 for flying career (not big jets)
Old 7th Sep 2016, 21:33
MapleTopGun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian prospects at 40 for flying career (not big jets)

So, I'm a UK ex-pat living in AB (Permanent Resident). 13 years ago in the UK I started my PPL with the eventual aim of getting my CPL, and Frozen ATPL. (did around 66 hrs, Got as far as my solo X-Country, then ran out of money and belief in obtaining the end result)

Now I have been living in Alberta for 6 years, I hit 40 this year and still want to fly, I know if I was still in the UK I wouldn't even bother as there are very few opportunities there.

So, having heard of stories of, for example, med evac operators, taking new low hr FO's in their 40's, So having a bit more of a disposable income, and hating my career as it stands at the moment. I have come up with the following plan, but is it worth it:

Jan - July 2017 get PPL.
Aug 2017 - 12 to 18 months to complete CPL

Meaning at 42/43 I'll be looking to take a huge pay, with $55K of debt and a significant pay cut with the aim of flying with smaller operators doing med evac, cargo, private charter, air taxi, bush flying up north etc No real ambition to get on the big jets, just want to be paid to fly. (it was my childhood ambition, I first took controls at 14 with the Air Cadets). I accept that I may also need to instruct to build hours, and I am not adverse to this, and at 42.43 i'll potentially still have 20 yrs of flying ahead.