PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2016, 21:32
gazumped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A GA after landing...............oh my oh my how complicated can you get......?

Sounds awfully like a touch and go. ........meat and taties for any student pilot.

Suggesting this is a difficult manoeuvre is just ludicrous in the extreme. The only difficulty would be in doing it using all automatics and and trying to get everything done in a 3 second window, reply to ATC and making it look as elegant as possible.

Two steps are required 1 push the power levers up
2 select and hold an attitude slightly above level

Everything else is to make it look pretty, you know flap back a notch, positive rate ( I was taught VSI and ALT both sustained increasing, and visually departing Mother Earth)......... After a suitable pause..........gear up.

As for hand flying above FL280, you must have a serviceable A/P, I don't recall if you actually have to use it.

Let me propose a hypothetical, ..........

if the crew of AF447 had seen and flown their aircraft in the past as a regular habit in the cruise and seen from experience exactly what a typical climb and cruise attitude looked like............ Do you honestly think they would have selected 29 degrees nose up to prevent a possible overspeed?

Let me now ask all of the assembled..............would you be able to hand fly your aircraft in the cruise accurately + or - 100'. and can you tell me what the level flight attitude is with F/D's off?

So now explain to me what use RVSM was to AF447, and which skill was more important, managing the automatics or being able to hand fly the aircraft?

Explain to me how Air Asia X crew tried to solve their navigation problem with automatics, and by the captains admission a "dire emergency was only avoided by ATC vectoring them"...... all the way to Melbourne. Another crew completely incapable of hand flying the aircraft on raw data after the automatics didn't do as expected.

How many of these crew are out there operating ok so long as the automatics work............and more to the point how many crew are latent accidents waiting for the automatics to fail?

What guarantee can anyone provide me automatics never failing, or doing something unintended? In fact it would appear that the biggest risk to modern jet fleet is exactly this scenario,........automatics stuff up......and crew not equipped to pick up the pieces.

IMHO the insidious decline in hand flying skills is a time bomb ticking away, and it would appear to be periodically detonating.......