PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 7th Sep 2016, 16:42
ScottNX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(First post!)

I'm 19 and I've wanted to be an airline pilot for years. At the minute, I'm studying a fairly prestigious politics degree which includes a year's worth of work experience working in Parliament in the UK (I live in the UK). Until a few months ago, the dream was in the back of my mind. I put myself off pursuing it when I was around 16 because I knew that my parents wouldn't be able to fund it. This is still the case.

Yesterday, I had my first ever flight in a GA plane. It was a trial flight from Sherburn Aero Club in a PA-28. Absolutely loved every minute of it and I didn't want to come down. I had a smile on my face for the whole ride and I wish I could go back up today! But obviously, money's the biggest problem...

I'm doing fairly well financially as a student. I don't spend any money at all on going out and drinking at uni so I'm doing okay compared to most. Obviously, I can't fund flying on this money though as it's not a constant stream of money. Yesterday, although it only lasted an hour, was the decider that I want to pursue my licenses, and if possible to pursue a career in aviation. But I'm stuck with that money problem, and I don't know what I can do.

Overall, there's a few questions I have in mind:

1) Would it be possible to fund it during university, or should I wait 'til I graduate? Basically, does anyone have any experiences in this case?
2) If I choose to wait until I graduate, will it be then too late to pursue a career as a pilot? I know there are many variables!
3) What's the general age at which it's seen as being too late to go into airlines?

Also, would my degree actually help me out in aviation? I know for sure that I won't drop out as I would like the backup of a degree. But my year in Westminster etc. can't hurt my CV, can it?

Thanks in advance.