PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2016, 09:38
BDLBOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also used the airport in July arriving on SQ and a return flight on Jet2 to IBZ. I departed home from LHR on SQ 380.
I like the use of new technology as it aids the processes of checking in, self baggage tag printing and bag depositing. Also passport scans etc. Australia is a great model to look at, it used to be a disaster area for International passengers. The problem at MAN is it is not been given a proper chance. There are 5 auto passport gates at arrival at T1 and T2, and they are not enough. It needs to be at least double. The non EU lines flow much faster. Jet2 have introduced the self bag tagging, but many people did not know what it was and stayed in the check in line. My wife and I jumped at the machine, saved us about 20 mins, like I say these systems do work.
T1 security was OK, average for an airport at 2pm, but the terminal itself is terrible and well past it sell by date. No space to sit, same as T3. These two terminals will need to take the growth while T2 is carved up, scares me to think where MAN is headed.
I don't think doing comparisons to worse airports is good to anyone. You should always try to be better than the competition not the same or worse.
T2 at LHR made me think of what MAN T2 will be like, new technology which was working and a lot of walking to get to the SQ gate. Plenty of space and open.
But waiting ten years is not going to be fun for pax if the growth continues, which we all really want.