PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2016, 08:59
gazumped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Framer

Spot on, too much reliance on A/T, same as Asiana @ SFO, and Turkish Airways @ Schipol.

Lesson for airline training departments, A/T doesn't always do what you expect, when it stuffs up close to the ground if pilots don't actually 'pilot' it turns to s$&t remarkable quickly.

Why are we having this conversation, why aren't we just hand flying more often and learning from experience that, for example 29 degrees nose up at 38,000' with AF447 is inviting disaster?

Why aren't we hand flying all visual approaches, ingraining muscle memory with exactly what control inputs and thrust lever positions 'feel right'?

The answer to both these questions need to be asked of training departments. My airline actively discourages hand flying. When I mention my concerns to management pilots they typically reply, "if crew hand fly we get more altitude busts, and hand flying above 25,000 makes you non RVSM," plus other lame excuses.

I fear that this issue will be addressed as a result of this accident, not enough paying passengers were injured, and unfortunately the crew will wrongly get the entire blame for this one.