PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily 737 legs in the 1980s
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2016, 20:13
DanAir89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Oxenos - always wondered why the BY aircraft moved around so much. It added a bit more interest to going on holiday as a kid seeing the name of the plane, it's reg and knowing that you'd come home on a different one! "Amy Johnson" (G-BECG) and Lord Brabazon of Tara being (G-BHWF) being the first pair that I remember flying on!

Actually just got back from a week's holiday and there was a minor (but only a minor bit) of disappointment 25+ years later that we flew on G-FDZY there and back!

As this is nostalgia I also find that it sad that BY pioneered the flight information displays in the 737-200's in the 1980's and these days although the TOM 738's are refitted with digital maps they only seem to use them if they can be bothered. It wasn't used on the return journey this week and with no updates from the cockpit during the 4.5 hour flight it was a bit dull (but I do accept that I may be in the minority liking this type of info but at least it would answer the never ending question from my kids of "are we there yet?"!