PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA Captains et al still visit the passengers inflight?
Old 6th Sep 2016, 17:02
KelvinD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some years ago, I was on a flight from LHR to Kuwait. As we taxied to the runway, the Captain came on the PA to announce "We shall shortly be lined up on the runway and will be taking off toward New York....". Horrified looks all round ""Did I board the wrong flight?" etc. Waiting our turn at the end of the runway, he came on the PA again to announce that we will be making a left turn shortly before Ascot. Our track would then take us toward Sandown, passing Kempton Park then toward Epsom and Lingfield Park and finally to Folkstone before heading across the Channel. A litany of racecourses!
Not long after we were airborne, the drinks wagon came out and was rolled up adjacent to my seat. I ordered a G&T and then heard a voice behind me, saying "A gin and tonic for this gentleman, is it?". I looked around and the Captain was on my left shoulder and he proceeded to serve me my G & T! The cabin crew bloke had a grin from ear to ear as he watched!
Later in the flight, I had the chance to spend some time on the flight deck. First I asked him if, by any chance he likes horse racing. "Oh yes!" As we could see the lights of Arar and Al Jouf (Saudi Arabia), I spent some time telling him "war stories" from the time I spent maintaining Nav Aids at both of those airports. A smashing bloke and wouldn't it be nice if they were all like him.