PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checking on a potential 'Mitty'
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2016, 16:16
Been There...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking on a potential 'Mitty'

I have been asked about how to identify whether a certain individual is who they say they are.

He is signing emails as Wing Commander xxxx xxxx with no (Retired) at the end.
Can find his service number and name in the London Gazette with a promotion to Flt Lt as a short service commission but no letter associated with the number which appears at little odd. Date of entry there is 1979.
Nothing after this date to show his promotion beyond that date.
He is suspected of retiring as a Flt Lt and then working in a civil service role in a commensurate SO1 post and therefore using Wing Commander.

I suggested to my colleague to contact RAF Disclosures at RAF Cranwell who were not interested and suggest that my colleague called the police.

The likely first question will be what evidence do you have...

Linked to this, (Retd) as I understand it, should only be used if the person retired from the substantive rank and not a civil service equivalent. So even if he did retire as a civil servant in a SO1 role, Wing Commander is not correct. And the abscence of (Retd) is a definite no no.

Any other suggestions other than approaching the individual directly as it is a rather delicate position the said person is applying for and want to keep relationships open. However, the alarm bells are ringing that this person isn't who they say they are.

Thanks in advance