PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Explosion at kennedy Space Center
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2016, 14:54
.Scott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose rivets
I can't stop frame the first part of the flash. The ball of fire is either not there or there.

I'm surprised at the location of the explosion, and equally surprised at the extent of what I assume is a flow of burning fuel from the top.
The initial blast (frame 1) occurred near the oxygen tank. That ignited the top of the tank and seemed to have forced a rupture of the fuel tank at the bottom.
The payload and second stage remained in place for seconds before toppling. Once it toppled, it fell to the ground where it created a blast and mushroom cloud of its own.

I'm not so sure that there wasn't an explosion. There are a couple of fragments that were ejected with considerable velocity from the original (frame 1) blast point. That was a diamond shaped blast - as you might expect from a relatively small container rupturing under pressure. Or perhaps it was just shaped from obstacles around it.

Last edited by .Scott; 7th Sep 2016 at 19:20. Reason: Removed text that was a likely misinterpretation of pre-incident news reports.