PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP Night flying
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2016, 12:11
londonblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I passed my night rating/qualification just after my PPL. I can even remember the date: It was the 17th Feb 2005. (The reason I remember is that it was the Thursday before I got married!) Since then I have flown a grand total of 1 hour at night. There are a number of reasons for this, but mostly because it hasn't been necessary or convenient.

The hour I did was last winter when I decided that it would be a good idea to resurrect the rating and spent an hour practicing landings with an instructor. The plan was to then spend time doing a nav exercise with an instructor, but we ran out of dark nights before we were able to do so.

I intend to continue with the nav exercise when the clocks change because I thoroughly enjoyed flying at night. The air is stiller and the scenery is spectacular. Yes I worry about the forced landing issue, but don't consider that a reason not to fly at night. I consider that a reason to make sure I'm as safe as I can be.

There are practical issues with flying at night, especially from Elstree. Firstly, Elstree is only open late 2 nights a week, so you've got to be very lucky with the wx, and secondly, because of power cables, the runway is only licensed at night in one direction so even when the weather is good you still need the wind to be blowing in the right direction.

I also view night flying in the same way others view and IR(R)/IMC: it could help you out of a sticky situation...