PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2016, 11:25
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the automatic TOGA thing has been beaten to death.
I'm curious, from a human factors/performance point of view if this accident was caused by an unnecessary computer call out which might have been ignored by the crew by looking out the window and using judgement. You know if you float a lot, or a little. Looking at the arithmetic supplied by others it might be that they floated a bit from 400m - 1000m. That might have triggered the computer; I've no idea how it calculates its triggers. But also there are those who claim the remaining 2600m of ground roll is more than enough to stop. I suspect they are correct.
In other words "was this GA necessary?" If not, then why do it? Is it an SOP to do so if 'Long Landing' is called?
If this call was the initiation of the whole scenario, then what followed was a technical misunderstanding & mis-airmanship with thrust & gear. So if there was no need to GA then there was no accident; so the accident started with a shifting wind, perhaps causing a float causing a computer call out. I suspect there are many slices of holy cheese that lined up PDQ'ly.