PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pneumothorax and Class 1
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2003, 00:46
Jimbo-in-debt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pneumothorax and Class 1

I've just graduated from university and am hoping to start my PPL this summer/autumn (at long last...) with a view to a career in commercial flying.

Three weeks ago I had a primary spontaneous pneumothorax in my left lung. I'd had two previous occurrences of the same condition, both in 1999, and was told that there was some chance I would 'grow out of it' - alas not! All three were diagnosed as 'small' pneumothoraces, and all three recovered completely within a few days.

I'm hoping to take my Class 1 medical in the next few weeks. What I'm keen to establish is whether a) my most recent pneumothorax, or b) my predisposition to having them, are likely to affect my chances of getting a Class 1. By predisposition I mean the fact that (in case you hadn't guessed already...) I'm 22, tall and thin.

Similarly, are there any implications for if/when I should start my PPL? I've been told not to fly for 6 weeks after recovery.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info...much appreciated.

Jimbo.

PS Needless to say I'm trying to find out as much about the condition as I can, so if anybody knows any good resources on the web, I'd be very grateful...