PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC Journos in Celtic scare
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2003, 00:10
Bally Heck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lofty50,

The reason some journalists receive such contempt on these forums is because their standard of journalism is contemptible. This is not to suggest that all journalists are hopelessly incompetent. Some actually take time to research their subject, including the odd one or two who use these forums.

Aviation is unfortunately a cheap target for these people, and sensational headlines are ten a penny for "incidents" which are non events in professional aviation terms. I know for sure, from personal experience that the Daily Record "makes up" at least some of it's copy. In my case it was a "quote" attributed to a source who had never seen a reporter, far less talked to one. I believe this is also known as "Lying".

Note I say this freely and openly on a public forum without any caveats such ÒallegedlyÓ without fear of being sued by the Daily Record. ÉTHE DAILY RECORD MAKES THINGS UP WHICH IT THEN PUBLISHES AS FACTÉ The moderators know who I am. CÕmon Daily Record. If you think you are hard enough.

(Caveat!!! I single out the Record because I can prove that one. Not because they are the only tabloid that makes thing up)

In my view, when we read/listen to the "media" for news, we should be able to expect fair, accurate, unbiased and truthful reporting, whatever the subject matter. (How na•ve am I?)

In practice, what we are often subjected to are puerile attempts to sell as much copy as possible with sensationalist rubbish, which bears little if any resemblance to the facts.

If "Aircraft carrying football team rejects take-off. No injuries or damage." isn't interesting enough, then the story isn't interesting enough.....so don't bother publishing. Surely there's enough going on in Corrie and Big Brother to fill up the front page.

As Andrew M says, it is particularly worrying when the BBC falls into this category of gutter journalism as "due to the special way it's funded" it doesn't have to do this and shouldnÕt be allowed to. I donÕt have to buy the Sun and Record. But I am compelled to pay for the BBC whether I watch it or not

There are a lot of good journalists out there. They just donÕt seem to work for the tabloid press. And the tabloid press influences the opinion of large sections of the public way beyond the level of either their ability or their morals or their accountablity.