PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airfield needed
Thread: airfield needed
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2003, 23:19
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scubawasp

I tell you something, you might think that the SE is saturated, but I reckon that there is still an opportunity down here.

Our au pair has been learning to fly (don't ask, it's a long story) and was being badly p1ssed around by LTFC at Fairoaks. Eventually the CFI there left, with no sign of an imminent replacement, so I suggested some other places he could try (Fairoaks, Redhill and Biggin are the three places in sensible range.)

Fairoaks Flight Centre really don't want to know about customers and are very expensive. Redhill failed to turn up for the appointment he made, and "couldn't care less". And all the schools at Biggin were too busy to take his money (he wanted to do 22 hours in three weeks, at about six weeks notice, and they were all full.)

I have heard better reports about schools to the North of London (Stapleford, for example) and I believe that WW is a good club, but Surrey seems to be a disaster.

Going to Genghis' point, I wonder how BAe would feel about a school at Dunsfold. It is in great nick and right in the middle of the richest part of the country...maybe worth a go.

The other place that is crying out to be reopened to the GA world is Woodford. Again BAe, and surely they could be persuaded that if an entrance was made directly into the GA area from the road security wouldn't be a real issue. You could make more money out of GA handling than out of the school, as Manchester is crying out for a "real" GA facility (Barton being a bit of a joke.)

In the meantime, the au pair has taken his £4000 and gone to the Czech Republic for three weeks, where they are dellighted to take it to train him on a brand new, airways equipped PA28.

W